Seared Scallopsby Trina Kaufman, Delicious Living
- 2 small yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 2 tablespoons white or regular balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups (packed) baby arugula
- 1/2 pound large sea scallops, patted dry
- 1/2 ounce crumbled goat cheese
- Cut onions into quarters; then thinly slice or dice small.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until golden and very soft, 15-25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low if they start cooking too quickly.
- Deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove from heat and fold in arugula.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat a second heavy skillet over high heat and add remaining oil; when very hot, add scallops and sear 1-2 minutes per side.
- Mound arugula mixture onto plates.
- Top with scallops and goat cheese.
- Serve with roasted potatoes, quinoa, or brown rice.