Poached Eggs Over Sauteed Greens
- 4 free range chicken eggs
- 1 teaspoon light vinegar (rice, apple cider, or white wine)
- 4 cups water About
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white part only
- 6 medium cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 3 +1 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring water and vinegar to a fast simmer in a skillet large enough to fit eggs.
- Make sure there is enough water to cover eggs.
- While water is coming to a simmer, heat 1 tablespoon broth in a separate stainless steel 10-12 inch skillet.
- Saute sliced leeks in broth over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic slices and continue to saute stirring constantly for another minute.
- Add kale, broth, and lemon juice, and simmer covered on medium low heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When done season with salt and pepper.
- Poach eggs until desired doneness.
- This will take about 5 minutes, or just until the white is set and the yolk has filmed over.
- Do not add any salt to the poaching water for the eggs.
- Salt has a tendency to dissolve the egg whites.
- Remove from vinegar water with slotted spoon and place on top of a towel first before placing on the greens.