Pie Crust (Gluten-Free)From Living Without
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free baking mix
- ¼ cup coconut flour or blend of choice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon agar powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons shortening or coconut oil
- 3-4 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1 teaspoon Cider vinegar
- Place the first 7 ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Pulse to combine.
- Add butter and shortening and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add half the water and all the vinegar and process.
- Add remaining water, little at a time until dough forms into a ball.
- Remove dough from the bowl and pat it into a disk between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap.
- Roll it into a 12 inch circle.
- Remove the top sheet of wrap and gently turn the crust over on to a lightly greased 9-inch pie pan.
- If it cracks or breaks in places, pat it back into place.
- Form and press the dough into a pie shell and crimp the edges so that they are slightly higher than the pan.
- To bolster the height of the crust and to prevent over-browning, make a collar around the pie rim with aluminum foil.
- Prick the bottom of the crust several times with a fork.
- Freeze the crust for 15 minutes while preheating the oven to 375.