Chicken and Lots of Veggies Curry
Chicken and Lots of Veggies CurryFrom Gregory Anne Cox
- 1 pound chicken, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil, split into two batches
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 ounce fresh ginger root, about 1 1/2 inch piece
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder--split one and one
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 15 ounces coconut milk
- 2 cups of cauliflower florets
- 2 cups raw broccoli florets
- 2 cups yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 cups fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pot or non-stick wok and add 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
- When hot, but not smoking, add the onion, garlic, ginger and 1 tablespoon of the curry powder.
- Stir well. Add the chicken.
- Let the chicken cook stirring to sear all sides and remove the meat from the pan to a plate.
- Wipe the pan with a rag or paper towel to remove bits that might burn.
- Put the pan back on the heat and add the remaining oil.
- When it is hot add the vegetables and saute so veggies get coated with oil.
- Sprinkle with the remaining curry powder and the flour.
- Stir well and add in cold stock.
- Using a heat proof spatula get all the bits off the bottom and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Add the chicken back in, season with salt and pepper and pour in the coconut milk.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve over Basmati rice or a bed of greens.