Broccoli QuinoaFrom Carmen Anderson
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets and stems
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 pinches Himaylayan salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Optional toppings: basil, chili oil (see under Miscellaneous for homemade recipe), sliced avocado, feta or goat cheese
- Pre-cook quinoa according to directions and drain any extra water.
- Heat the quinoa and set aside.
- Now, barely cook the broccoli by pouring 3/4 cup water into a large pot and bringing it to a simmer.
- Add a pinch of salt and stir in the broccoli.
- Cover and cook for a minute, just long enough to take the raw edge off.
- Transfer the broccoli to a strainer and run under cold water until it stops cooking.
- Set aside.
- To make the broccoli pesto, puree two cups of the cooked broccoli, the garlic, 1/2 cup of the almonds, parmesan, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor/blender.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and cream and pulse until smooth.
- Just before serving, toss the quinoa and remaining broccoli florets with about 1/2 of the broccoli pesto.
- Taste and adjust if needed.
- You might want to add more of the pesto, salt or lemon juice a bit at a time.
- Turn out onto a serving platter and top with the remaining almonds, a drizzle of the chili oil, and some sliced avocado or other optional toppings.