Stephen’s Vegetarian Lentils
Stephen’s Vegetarian LentilsFrom Silvana’s Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups dried French lentils, (he used Shiloh Farms
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Salt, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, broth and wine; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Vegetarian Lentils and Quinoa with Mushrooms and Spinach
- To make this, I just placed a some lentils in a large skillet and stirred them together with cooked quinoa, sliced shiitake mushrooms and frozen spinach (I would have preferred fresh if it had been sitting in my fridge).
- To heat it all through without sticking to the skillet, I added enough liquid (in my case, water, but you could also use broth) to loosen it up without making it soupy.