Egg CasseroleFrom Pam Johnson
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 medium gold or red potatoes, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 pint cottage cheese
- 4 ounces (1 1/4 cups) sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces (1 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 4-ounce cans green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup Gluten free baking flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place oven rack in top third of oven and preheat to 350 degreees.
- Lightly oil a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain, blotting the top with a second paper towel.
- Wipe the skillet clean and add oil, heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the potatoes and saute until tender and browned, 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce heat if potatoes are becoming too dark. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and whites.
- Add cottage, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, chilies, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk to mix thoroughly.
- Add the cooked sausage, crumbling up any large pieces, and the potatoes; mix well.
- Pour into the prepared dish. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden on top and set in the center.