Black Bean Fiesta
- 1 cup black beans, dry
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 cup celery minced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cup collard greens
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cook beans as directed after soaking overnight, or used canned beans, drained well.
- Saute onions, garlic, celery, pepper in 1/2 cup water in large saucepan for 15 minutes or so, adding more water as needed.
- Stir in spices.
- Add black beans and chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- While bean mixture is simmering, remove stems from greens, rinse and chop into 1/4 inch strips.
- Bring greens and 1 cup water to boil in separate saucepan, cover and reduce heat to simmer til greens are wilted.
- Meanwhile, peel oranges.
- When beans are ready, toss with drained greens and soy sauce.
- Season with salt as needed.
- Serve with cooked rice and orange sections for garnish.