From Carmen Anderson
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets and stems
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 pinches Himaylayan salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Optional toppings: basil, chili oil (see under Miscellaneous for homemade recipe), sliced avocado, feta or goat cheese
Pre-cook quinoa according to directions and drain any extra water. Heat the quinoa and set aside.
Now, barely cook the broccoli by pouring 3/4 cup water into a large pot and bringing it to a simmer. Add a pinch of salt and stir in the broccoli. Cover and cook for a minute, just long enough to take the raw edge off. Transfer the broccoli to a strainer and run under cold water until it stops cooking. Set aside.
To make the broccoli pesto, puree two cups of the cooked broccoli, the garlic, 1/2 cup of the almonds, parmesan, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor/blender. Drizzle in the olive oil and cream and pulse until smooth.
Just before serving, toss the quinoa and remaining broccoli florets with about 1/2 of the broccoli pesto. Taste and adjust if needed. You might want to add more of the pesto, salt or lemon juice a bit at a time. Turn out onto a serving platter and top with the remaining almonds, a drizzle of the chili oil, and some sliced avocado or other optional toppings.